Founded in 1921 as a maternity hospital for women of meager means, Misericordia now supports more than 550 children and adults with developmental disabilities. Misericordia's campus includes residences as well as several supportive programs. The organization maintains a waiting list for services numbering over 600 individuals.
In November 2006, a matching grant of $900,000 was made for the construction of one of several planned Intermediate Care Facilities for the Developmentally Disabled, housing twelve individuals and located on the Misericordia campus on Chicago's north side. Foundation funds, matched by both Misericordia's organizational endowment and new funding sources, additionally will provide furnishings for two homes and landscaping of the property; bring electricity and plumbing to the site from existing lines; and construct new parking lots and roadways.
On June 17, 2008, Misericordia broke ground on the construction of four new homes. At right, Sister Rosemary Connelly, Executive Director of Misericordia, presents Michael Hennessy and Clark McCain with a commemorative plaque marking the Foundation's gift for The Coleman Foundation Home.