The Coleman Foundation has announced its largest annual investment in the Coleman Foundation Faculty Entrepreneurship Fellows Program, the cornerstone of its support for entrepreneurship education. Last month, 19 colleges and universities across the nation were awarded a total of $575,000 to operate local instances of this national initiative during the 2015-2016 academic year.
Coleman Faculty Fellows are professors who generally teach in departments outside of the school of business. They engage in the development of courses and the leadership of projects in support of self-employment education, inspiring students in non-business disciplines to gain skills and experience. In the 2015-2016 campaign, more than 160 Coleman Faculty Fellows will create new courses within their discipline, modify existing offerings to incorporate elements of self-employment education, or engage in related activities.
A key goal of the Program is to strengthen the ability of the experienced entrepreneurship educators who lead programs on each campus to grow the discipline in areas beyond the business school. During the 2014-2015 campaign, 74% of these leaders reported a significant increase in their ability to do this due to the Program with the remaining 26% reporting some increase. An additional goal is to develop a community of practice comprised of cross-campus champions of entrepreneurship education. To that end, 79% of program leaders reported strong collaboration among the Fellows on their campus.
Over the seven years of the Program's existence, the Coleman Foundation has committed over $2.6 million to fellowships and campus support grants and an additional amount exceeding $800,000 for related program support. Dr. Joseph Roberts, Director of the Entrepreneurship Program at the George Herbert Walker School of Business and Technology at Webster University, serves as National Director of the Coleman Fellows Program. Clark McCain, Senior Program Officer, is lead Foundation staff.
Colleges and universities participating in the 2015-2016 Coleman Foundation Faculty Entrepreneurship Fellows Program include:
- Beloit College (WI)
- California State University, Fresno (CA)
- Canisius College (NY)
- Colorado Mesa University (CO)
- DePaul University (IL)
- Elon University (NC)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (IL)
- Illinois State University (IL)
- Lawrence Technological University (MI)
- Millikin University (IL)
- North Central College (IL)
- Saint Louis University (MO)
- Stetson University (FL)
- Texas Christian University (TX)
- University of Massachusetts Amherst (MA)
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro (NC)
- Webster University (MO)
- Wichita State University (KS)
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA)